Current:Home > MyChainkeen|Top official says Kansas courts need at least $2.6 million to recover from cyberattack -Elevate Capital Network
Chainkeen|Top official says Kansas courts need at least $2.6 million to recover from cyberattack
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 04:34:24
TOPEKA,Chainkeen Kan. (AP) — The Kansas court system needs at least $2.6 million in additional funds to recover from an October cyberattack that prevented the electronic filing of documents and blocked online access to records for weeks, the state’s top judicial official told legislators Tuesday.
State Supreme Court Chief Justice Marla Luckert included the figure in a written statement ahead of her testimony before a joint meeting of the Kansas House and Senate Judiciary committees. The Republican-controlled Legislature must approve the funding, and Democratic Gov. Laura Kelly also must sign off.
Luckert’s written statement said the courts needed the money not only to cover the costs of bringing multiple computer systems back online but to pay vendors, improve cybersecurity and hire three additional cybersecurity officials. She also said the price tag could rise.
“This amount does not include several things: recovery costs we will incur but cannot yet estimate; notification costs that will be expended to notify individuals if their personal identifiable information has been compromised; and any services, like credit-monitoring, that the branch may decide to provide for the victims,” Luckert’s statement said.
The attack occurred Oct. 12. Judicial branch officials have blamed a ransomware group based in Russia, saying it stole data and threatened to post it on a dark website if its demands were not met.
Judicial branch officials have not spelled out the attackers’ demands. However, they confirmed earlier this month that no ransom was paid after responding to an Associated Press request for invoices since Oct. 12, which showed as much.
Luckert said little about the costs of the cyberattack during Tuesday’s joint committee meeting and did not mention the $2.6 million figure. She and other judicial branch officials also met with the House committee in private for about 15 minutes to discuss more sensitive security issues.
“The forensic investigation is ongoing,” she said during her public testimony to both committees.
Luckert said courts’ costs include buying a new firewall as well as software and hardware. She said the court included the three new cybersecurity jobs in its proposed budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1 but now wants to be able to hire them in April, May or June.
State Rep. Stephen Owens, a Republican from rural central Kansas who serves on both the House judiciary and budget committees, said the courts are asking for “an awful lot of money” because of the cyberattack.
“That being said, I also think that we have to prioritize cybersecurity,” he said after Tuesday’s meeting. “We have to prioritize safeguarding of the information that we store on behalf of Kansans.”
Separately, Kelly is seeking $1.5 million to staff an around-the-clock, 12-person cybersecurity operations center, hire an official to oversee the state’s strategy for protecting data and hire someone to create a statewide data privacy program.
veryGood! (4421)
Related
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Brittany Snow Details “Completely” Shocking Divorce From Tyler Stanaland
- Flaco the owl's necropsy reveals that bird had herpes, exposed to rat poison before death
- Suspect's release before Chicago boy was fatally stabbed leads to prison board resignations
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Fast wireless EV charging? It’s coming.
- North Carolina elections board finalizes results from primary marked by new voter ID rules
- 11-year-old killed in snowmobile crash in northern Maine
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Trader Joe's bananas: Chain is raising price of fruit for first time in 20 years
Ranking
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Judge issues gag order barring Donald Trump from commenting on witnesses, others in hush money case
- Indictment accuses Rwandan man of lying about role in his country’s 1994 genocide to come to US
- Maps and video show site of Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Louie the raccoon from Florida named 2024 Cadbury Bunny, will soon make TV debut
- California Man Arrested After Allegedly Eating Leg of Person Killed by Train
- Sean “Diddy” Combs Breaks Silence After Federal Agents Raid His Homes
Recommendation
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
Who owns the ship that struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore?
Biden administration approves the nation’s seventh large offshore wind project
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is expected to announce his VP pick for his independent White House bid
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
I've been fighting cancer for years. I know what's in store for Princess Kate.
Aerial images, video show aftermath of Baltimore bridge collapse
Named for Star Spangled Banner author, the Francis Scott Key Bridge was part of Baltimore’s identity